Translate

Search This Blog

I/O tuning in Oracle: filesystemio_options and disk_asynch_io

Part1: This is part one of series I/O tuning.


Most of the performance tuning issues can be related to I/O in any database. Oracle provides only two main parameters to control I/O behaviour these are  filesystemio_options and disk_asynch_io

filesystemio_options alllows you to specify synchronous and asynchronous read/write and direct and indirect read write. By default it is none it means operating systen's default I/O mode is selected which is synchronous read/write and indirect read write that is file system cached read write operations. But since disk_asynch_io parameter defaults to true Oracle supports asynchronous read write by default.

Oracle recommends to set parameter filesystemio_options  to value 'setall' but it is not always good practise especially when SGA is small. setting it to setall lets your Oracle DB perform I/O operations without going to file system cache and it saves overhead of double caching but if SGA is smaller and DB host machine  has large free memory then it is not good to set this parameter to value setall. In this case you should increase DB_CACHE_SIZE and only then set filesystemio_options to setall.

Five years ago I was setting up Oracle database to handle large I/O of new Dataware house project. I set filesystemio_options to setall. This speeded up load operations aproximately by 5% whose caching in file system was not useful as these were insert statements and not repeated. At the same time increased SGA to quite high to cache I/O as much as possible so that repetitive select queries can benefit from SGA as in this case when filesystemio_options was set to setall then file system cache was not available.

So summary is be prudent when setting filesystemio_options to setall to enable direct read/write and asynchronous operations.

Other parameters to affect write (as well as read) is dbwriter_processes. When asynchronous I/O operations are slower in operating system in comparison to synchronous I/O then turn off asynchronous I/O by setting disk_asynch_io to false and set multiple db writer processes by increasing dbwriter_processes values from 1 to 2,3 or 4  suitable value to your system. Alternate is  incrase  dbwr_io_slaves from 0 to 2,3,4 suitable value.

You would be keen to disable asynchronous I/O  when you see high average_wait on event db_file_parallel_wait. Other reason for turning it off will be synchronous I/O is more reliable.

SQL> select event,average_wait from v$system_event where event like 'db file parallel write';
EVENT                                                            AVERAGE_WAIT
---------------------------------------------------------------- ------------
db file parallel write                                                    28.2  [ centi seconds]

This is not a very good ASYNCH I/O. Try Synchronous I/O

Note 1: Asynchronous I/O operations are more prone to block corruptions than synchronous operations so many DBAs disable it and follow practice as mentioned in above paragraph. So if you do not have standby databases and oracle 11g then which autoamatically recovers corrupted block on primary then you would not want asynchronous I/O
Note 2: For 11g R2 for tuning purpose, the “db file async I/O submit” should be treated as   “db file parallel write” in previous releases.